- Familiarity with a vast country and its’ severe nature, Russians became some of the greatest explorers in the world. They found Antarctica during the 800-day expedition to the South. They also had millions of expeditions to Central Asia, Siberia, and the Arctic.
- Russian was an Empire for over 300 years. It’s an important fact if you want to understand Russians!
- The area of the whole country is approximately equal to the surface area of the planet Pluto it is 1.8 times bigger than the USA
- TRANS-SIBERIAN RAILWAY
- LAKE BAIKAL
- Alaska was Russian territory
- MOUNT ELBRUS
Russia, located in Eurasia (the combined continental landmass of Europe and Asia), is one of the most popular countries in the world. The official language is Russian but there are 27 other languages co-official in various regions throughout the country. Most people are aware of where Russia is located and what types of people live there, but there are many little known facts about this country and its culture that are really quite interesting.
Places in RussiaFind More
Russia, the world‚s largest nation, borders European and Asian countries as well as the Pacific and Arctic oceans. Its landscape ranges from tundra and forests to subtropical beaches. It‚s famous for Moscow’s Bolshoi and St. Petersburg’s Mariinsky ballet companies. St. Petersburg, founded by Russian leader Peter the Great, has the baroque Winter Palace, now housing part of the State Hermitage …
1. Borsch / Borscht This beet and cabbage red soup is a delicious belly warmer on Moscow’s colder days, served with or without meat, potato, herbs (usually dill) and a dollop of smetana, Russian sour cream. Accompanied with a piece of rye bread or garlic bread topped with melted cheese, this dish is hearty enough to serve as a meal, …
Do’s & Dont’s
Russia Do’s DO read the US State Dept Travel Advisories re: safety and immunizations, and any literature from your agency. DO get your passport and VISA right away; it takes time. DO get immunizations, important for any 3rd world country. DO bring American money into Russia. DO declare your gold jewelry properly upon entry, because Russia has strict laws on …