- Mauritius is the most densely populated country in Africa and the 17th most densely populated country in the world.
- Among all developing countries, Mauritius has the highest life expectancy at 73 years.
- The legendary dodo bird was found only in Mauritius before it became extinct.
Despite its extinction, the dodo remains Mauritius’ national animal.
- Mauritius is an island created by underwater volcanic eruptions. The first people to set foot on it were the Portuguese.
- Mark Twain has been quoted as saying, “You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first, and then heaven, and that heaven was copied after Mauritius.
- Mauritius does not maintain a standing army.
- While many countries consider it polite to receive gifts with both hands, Mauritians prefer to receive things with the right hand only.
Mauritius is a small island situated in the Indian Ocean to the east of the African continent. To reach Mauritius, it takes a 4 hours flight from Johannesburg/South Africa, 12 hours flight from Paris/France or 13 hours from London/UK.
Places in MauritiusFind More
Mauritius, an Indian Ocean island nation, is known for its beaches, lagoons and reefs. The mountainous interior includes Black River Gorges National Park, with rainforests, waterfalls, hiking trails and wildlife like the flying fox. Capital Port Louis has sites such as the Champs de Mars horse track, Eureka plantation house and 18th-century Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Gardens. Language: English …
Dholl Puri These Mauritian flatbreads have a filling of cooked yellow split peas. They‚re served warm wrapped around curries, achards (pickled vegetables) and chutneys to make yummy snack. Banana tart These little banana tarts are one of the most popular Mauritian desserts. Mashed bananas cooked in shortcrust latticed pastry ‚ a taste of the tropics! Eat them warm straight from …
Do’s & Dont’s
Mauritius‚ Don’ts Do not wear shorts, mini-skirts or sleeveless shirts when visiting religious shrines. Do not touch the statues, carvings and religious artefacts in places of worship. Do not sunbath topless. Sunbathers should note that nudism and topless sunbathing are frowned upon on public beaches. No hotel permits nude sunbathing on beaches. Do not involve in drug trafficking which is illegal …