- Do use local taxis. Approx 30min journey from Jingahn to Yu Gardens, 27Yuan (less than Â£3).
- Public transit, called Metro, is totally bilingual, cheaper and faster during most of the traffic gridlock of the daytime.
- Visit Yu Gardens. Not as good as expected from publicity but worth seeing.
- YuYuan Gardens are best viewed when it opens at 8:30 a.m. Â That is when crowds do not overrun the garden designed for study and meditation.
- Walk along the Bund, and enjoy stunning views of the towers across the river, especially at night.
- Views from the Pudong Riverfront Promenade (on the Pudong side) are better, expecially the views of the Bund at night.
- The ferry across the river is very cheap, and a night time crossing gives fabulous illuminated vistas.
- Go up the Pearl Tower. Gob-smacking views from the top. Especially on the glass-floored platform.
- Views from World Financial Center are better and higher.
- Revolving restaurant serves aÂ buffet meal but times get booked up very quickly.
- Eat â€œon the hoofâ€ (literally â€“ chickenâ€™s feet). Lots of stalls by 9 ZigZag Bridge and you can see them cooking local â€œdelicaciesâ€ – tasty and really inexpensive.
- Donâ€™t fall for the â€˜Tea Festivalâ€™ scam. You may be approached by people asking you to take their photo for them.
- Donâ€™t be afraid to ask taxi prices before using them, especially in the late evening.
- Haggle for a deal. Don’t be shy. The guy on the other end of the negotiating table is 100 percent expecting you to bargain with him.
- Donâ€™t be afraid to try new food. You may learn to love something you have never tried.
- Donâ€™t be afraid to ask for help. Chinese people are more than happy to help you.